Are You Keeping Your Audience Happy?
Your audience has pressing questions they want answered. People have problems they want solved.
By the click of a mouse, they chose you. The words you give them matter. Do you spend high valued blog real estate easing their pain, or do you spend it talking about yourself?
There’s a big difference. Understanding your audience and providing the type of content they’re looking for is a big part of online marketing. People new to your website will literally spend a few split seconds determining if it’s the right location for them.
If what they see is more about you than about them – they are likely going to move on to the next search result.
What can you do?
Create a Valuable Blog
Let’s spend a quick second establishing what your blog is not. It is not a place to hammer home why people should buy your product 1,000 words at a time. It’s not a place to carry on in the same tone as a television commercial.
It’s not a place to be you-centric.
Instead, it’s a place to:
- Address the most common customer questions. You can think back to think back to the questions you’re asked in person, ask your customers, or conduct some simple keyword research to determine what your audience wants to know.
- Give away your best content.
- Routinely offer tips, tricks, strategies and how-to’s designed to make your readers’ lives better.
- Make your posts easy to read. This means reading and copy editing your work before you publish it. It means making your posts visually friendly with great images, subheads and lists.
- Make it well written and use the right psychological keywords.
Developing Your Content Marketing Plan
With the year almost over, it’s time to be looking at your content marketing plan. Make sure you have topics on tap that your audience will care about. Make sure you are approaching your blog in a fun, interesting and valuable way.
Skip the post about the awards you won, or the sales talk about why they should buy your product. Instead, show them that you care and want to help.
Matt Brennan is a Chicago area marketing writer and copy editor. He is also the author of Write Right – Sell Now: How to Create Content That Grows Your Business.